Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First Post

I never realize how little I have to say, until I address a group of people. This is no exception. A blog seemed like a great idea. A wonderful tool to communicate items of importance about our races. I could share my brilliant observations and opinions. The possibilities seemed amazing. I did a little research on setting up a blog and then did it. I was so excited and proud of myself. The next thing I know I am staring at this empty box I am to write those brilliant observations and opinions in. It was at this point that I found I have none. A very depressing moment. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of observations and opinions, they are just not very intelligent. Being who I am that will not stop me.

Here is the plan for this site. I will post anything I believe relevant and a whole bunch of things that are not. Look for race reports, pre-race information, information on our sponsors, training items, and pretty much whatever I feel like writing. If you have any ideas for changes let me know. I may totally ignore them, but at least you tried.

For those who don't know me (the lucky ones) a little background info. I started running (and really sucked at it) around 1980. Did my first triathlon in 1982. Took a little time off from '89 to '96. Insanity set in and I started running again. Since that point I have done a little of everything from 5Ks to 100 mile trail runs. At some point the local park asked me to help with the annual triathlon and I became a race director. About the same time I was downsized out of a job (seemed just like getting fired) so I decided to become a full time race director. Anyone who thinks that is a brilliant idea, because of the entry fees they pay should take a look at what I drive before jumping in. Being around triathlon again gave me the bug so I started training for cycling and swimming. Two months later I thought I was ready for my first iron-distance race. As often happens in my life, I was wrong. I survived and had a great run. It was just everything leading up to that point that gave me problems. In the last few years I have competed in just about every distance. I have found that I am not very good at the short stuff. I tend to fair much better in the longer distances. There seems to be a correlation between brains and endurance. The less you have of one the better you do at the other. I have done double iron distances (4.8 mile swim/224 mile bike/ 52.4 mile run) up to quintuple iron distance (12 mile swim/560 mile bike/131 mile run). Had fairly good results in those.

Well that about sums up who I am and what to look for here. Now the trick is to see if I will actually keep posting stuff.

No comments: