Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Whole New Gig

I started my life as a race director on accident. The Shelby County Triathlon was going to be canceled because no one was going to put it on, so I agreed to take it on. Then I started listening to you guys. If you wanted a trail run I did it. If you wanted longer triathlons we put one on. You asked for chip timing so we provided it. Every year we have had new challenges that have required us to learn new things and adapt to new situations.

It looks like this year's challenge is going to be bike races. The local bike club asked us to put on a race as part of the McDonald's Spring Classic Series. We had a meeting and I came out with a race as part of this series as well as the Kentucky State Time Trial.

Producing these races should be an adventure. There is much to learn. There is no doubt that we can produce a quality event. The issue is dealing with an entirely new governing body. USA Track and Field has all their rules, and so does USA Triathlon. USA Cycling has not only the similar rules, but other issues Headfirst has not had to deal with in the past such as categories. When I was just an athlete I never imagined the paperwork involved with producing a race.

Mark your calendars for the Shelby County Road Race on April 4, and the Kentucky state Time Trial Championships on June 14.

No comments: