Thursday, July 16, 2009

More bike hate

Cynthia went out and marked the bike course for Cardinal Harbour last week. We went out today and someone had marked over all of our arrows with red paint. Never had that happen before. If someone had thought our arrows looked bad they would have used black or grey paint to look better. It was obviously done just to screw with you. This marking was done only on parts of the course in Oldham County. For those of you who read my blog about the guy in Oldham County last year that complained about the race I did not give all the details. This guy blammed cyclist for some reasonable things such as not supporting local stores, but wanting to use their bathrooms, not staying on the side of the road etc. Can't argue with those things. But he also stated that cyclist have no right to be on the road because we pay no taxes. A fact that easily enough proved to be wrong. Hell if I had to pay no taxes just because I rode a bike I would sell my car. Even better was his explanation of how cycling caused an increase in pollution because it made vehicles slow down and speed up. I think that concept will create enough laughter to negate my need to comment on it. This from a guy who has by his own admission raced cars and motorcycles in the past. Those things cause no pollution. I am sure that when he is pulling his horse trailer it is a zero emissions situation.

I just mention these things because in all the places I have been and all the races I have been involved in I have never ran into these kinds of attitudes. There is a lot of hate out there and it has to be focused on someone. Seems like the guys in spandex with shaved legs are an easy target.

These haters seem lost back in time somewhere. The sports we do are growning popularity every year. Take a look around the country and you will see that every growing community supports healthy lifestyles and activities like cycling. A local government would have to be self destructive to not see that and follow suit. Every community I know of around here is interested in growth so it is not an official problem we deal with. It is a problem with a lunatic fringe that thinks there way is the only way and needs someone to hate. I hearby volunteer to be the focus of their anger. I give enough people real reasons to be mad at me a few more who make shit up won't matter.

No comments: